Lesson 9

What Happens to People When They Die?

Courtesy of Pastor Ken LeBrun



1. When a man dies, where does he go?

Job 21:32 Yet shall he be brought to the grave, and shall remain in the tomb.


2. The wicked are reserved there until they will be brought forth to what?

Job 21:30 That the wicked is reserved to the day of destruction? they shall be brought forth to the day of wrath.

“So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.” Job 14:12 .


3. Job said he would wait in the grave until what came?

Job 14:13,14 O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me! 14If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come.

“We shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.” 1 Corinthians 15:51, 52 .


4. At what event will they that are Christ’s be made alive?

1 Corinthians 15:22,23 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 23But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming.


5. Has David already gone to heaven?

Acts 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand


6. Where is David now?

Acts 2:29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.


7. What has become of him?

Acts 13:36 For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:


8. How will God awaken the dead?

1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

“And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds.” Matthew 24:31 .


9. Until then, where do the dead wait?

Job 17:13 If I wait, the grave is mine house: I have made my bed in the darkness.


10. Where did Jesus say the dead are?

John 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice


11. What words did Jesus use to say that his friend was dead?

John 11:11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.


12. How did David refer to his death?

Psalm 13:3 Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death


13. What words did Paul use to say that some of those who saw Jesus were now dead?

1 Corinthians 15:6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep


14. If there were no resurrection, what would happen to all who have fallen asleep?

1 Corinthians 15:18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.


15. When Jesus awoke from death, how did He say that He had not yet been to heaven?

John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.


16. How much does a dead man know?

Ecclesiastes 9:5 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.


17. What happens to his feelings and emotions?

Ecclesiastes 9:6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.


18. What happens to all his thoughts?

Psalm 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.


19. What can we do while we are alive?

Psalm 146:2 While I live will I praise the LORD: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being.


20. Can dead people praise the Lord?

Psalm 115:17 The dead praise not the LORD, neither any that go down into silence.

“The living, the living, he shall praise thee, as I do this day.” Isaiah 38:19 .


21. Can the dead thank God or even remember Him?

Psalm 6:5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?


22. Why will many people perish?

2 Thessalonians 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.


23. If we haven’t learned to love the truth while we are alive, can we get it in the grave?

Isaiah 38:18 For the grave cannot praise thee, death can not celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth.


24. How then should we use the short time in which we are alive?

Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.


25. Why is it so important to do it now?

Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.


For more information and documentation on each of the events discussed above, see Soul Sleep
, A Closer Look at texts sometimes used to promote the idea of consciousness in death.


In the Light of God's Word...

I understand that the dead are unconscious in the grave, awaiting either the resurrection of life or the resurrection of damnation.